+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery charger

Thanks

Default Battery charger

Charging a trolling motor battery, figure 210 aH, looking for something bigger than `10 amps but can do all modes - charge, float and condition. Who is using what? Tons and tons of chargers out there but looking for something that is semi-reliable. What are you using? Scott
    1999 J16 with a 2007 25 hp Merc four stroke

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,862 Posts

I Have two Guest twin output chargers on my skiff . A 20AMP on my 24 volt system & 10 AMP on my Two 12V cranking batteries

Are you looking for a on board or portable ?

Group 27 Deep cycle batteries weigh #50 consider adding a second in parallel, this is how my Bass boat was set up & you could fish for two day IT's EASY :)

You also could also leave one on charge @ home avoiding problems ensuring a full charge each day on the water :)

Schumacher SpeedCharge 15-Amp Marine Battery Charger
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CLwBEKYrMAY
    75A clamps for top and side mounted battery posts. Electronic push-button controls. Easy-to-feel switches for selection of display mode, charge rate, or battery type. Microprocessor controlled, thermal runaway protection, and safety start. Charging status LED's. 2A slow charge for charging small batteries and maintaining large ones. 10A medium charge of self-adjusting charge rate ideal for everyday charging needs. 15A fast charge monitors battery condition and automatically adjusts charge rate, preventing battery damage for car, truck, marine, RV, farm equipment, AGM gel cell, and deep-cycle batteries. Molded polypropylene case with retractable handle for easy portability and storage.
    Last edited by CFISHN; 02-03-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

I am looking at one battery, I am looking at trolling motor use in the hours range, so maybe 3-4 hours at low to mid speeds. I am looking at taking the battery off the boat in evenings for storage and charging. I figure a solid twelve hours of charging time so if I run a 210 amp battery to 50% I still have 12 hours to fill 100 amps, even a 10 amp battery charger should be enough. So 15 amps is probably a bit of overkill...but I like having a bit extra. I am looking for those that have used that unit. Yhat is the one I am leaning towards. Thanks for the information. Scott

Thanks

I have two Minn Kota on board chargers. One charges my TM batteries(2) and one charges my electronics battery. Both chargers are 10 amps. I installed the thru bulkhead plugs so I just plug an extension cord into the outlet to charge. I can lock my lockers when charging to keep everything safe. I highly recommend the on board chargers. Taking a battery on and off a boat each time to charge is a back breaker! I know, that's exactly what I did for years. I'll never go back! good luck.

Thanks

Yeah, that's what would do, but I'm on a skiff, a very empty skiff with a seat and a deck and nothing else. Thanks, so u go 10 amps. Ok.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,353 Times in 1,862 Posts

Most duel 5 amp chargers will send 10 to just one battery or 5 to each

So keep this in mind about duel chargers :)

I also back charged my 12V trolling system
    By having a second Motor plug attached to my charger , I just unplugged my motor & plug in the charger without having to remove the Batteries

Last edited by CFISHN; 02-09-2014 at 02:19 AM.
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

+ Reply to Thread