+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10 Micron vs 20 Micron filter

Thanks

Default 10 Micron vs 20 Micron filter

Is a 10 micron a "finer" filter than a 20 Micron, meaning a 10 filters smaller particles? which is the preferred filter? I have a 2006 Yamaha 4 stroke, 90 HP.
    2006 1980 DLV
    90 Yamaha

Thanks
    Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,939 Posts

Default yes 10 micron is smaller than 20

10 micron is smaller and what is recommended by most manufacturer !
    WV 08 DLV198 HONDA 115
    OBX 99 C-HAWK 13 YAMAHA 150

Thanks

"What is a Micron?" Well, here is the answer:

A micron, short for micrometer, is a unit of measurement equal to one millionth of a meter. A micron is actually 0.000039 of an inch.

I borrowed this from some site.

I'm not an expert but this is how I interpret things for add on filters.

2 micron filters. Used mostly for diesel engines, because of the injection system, if it is the only filter in the system. Also for injected gas engines if it is the only filter. These constrict fuel flow a lot.

10 microns. Best at trapping water in the fuel. Catch most particles that could clog injectors. Trap anything that could possibly clog a carb. Not much restriction to fuel flow but enough to keep in mind when you size the filter.

20 microns. Very little restriction. OK at stopping water and chunks of debris. Probably best for a carb engine waste of time on an injected engine unless the fuel system has a good built in filter.

Thanks

Ditto on bklake.

I found good info from:

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/produc.../fuel-filters/

And use a 10 micron Sierra kit w/o collection bowl for our Yamaha 90TLRD two stroke:

http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com/at...achmentid=8180
    DLX 2180 Yam 90 TLR

Thanks

Great info, thanks a bunch.
    2006 1980 DLV
    90 Yamaha

Thanks

One BIG thing I found out, that you might want to keep in mind, is WHAT 10 micron filter you are using. There is no "standard" testing method by which companies test fuel filters. There are generally 2 accepted testing methods. I forget EXACTLY what the tests were, but basically, you can label a fuel filter 10 micron if it filters exactly 50% of 10 micron particles that pass through it, OR, you need 87% of 10 micron particles filtered to qualify as 10 micron. That is to say, a cheaper one like Sierra, may go by the test that only requires 50%. Meaning it will likely filter 25% of 5 micron material passed through it, 50% of 10 micron material passed through it, and 75% of 20 micron material passed through it. WHERE, a more expensive filter might filter 50% of 5 micron material, 87% of 10 micron material, and 97% of 20 micron material.

No fuel filters are rated for 100% filtration of whatever size they are rated for. Might want to figure out what testing methods are what, and purchase your filter based on that. I wouldn't reccomend going below 10, unless you specifically know you might have issues, from either dirty gas, bad station, or dirty tank, and then I would reccomend either a 10/5 or 20/5 combo.

+ Reply to Thread