+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overall Carolina Skiff Quality Review

Thanks

Default Overall Carolina Skiff Quality Review

Members,

I wanted to see if I could get some overall feedback on the quality and durability of the Carolina Skiff. I currently own a grady white and am downsizing due to not wanting to pay the gas anymore. Any reviews would be appreciated. Figured I could get some good feeback from the folks who own and have owned for awhile on what they think the overall quality of the boat. I am sure there is some good and bad.

-JT

Thanks

Default Re: Overall Carolina Skiff Quality Review

Welcome to our club.
    I also own two gradys and i refuse to get rid of them.I'm in the procces of getting a skiff my self to use it inshore and the bay or even some lake fishing.As far as info on the CS, there is plenty in here, all you have to do is use the search button.
    Good luck.
    GIORGOS
    SKIFFLESS BUT NOT BOATLESS

Thanks

I've owned 4 CS boats since 1990 and they build great boats. Like Grady White, they are very customer focused and you'd be pleased with any one of their boats.

Thanks

Durability and value are the key thoughts that come to mind for me. Though I've only recently owned a CS, I've been watching and admiring them for many years. The overall look and performance continues to improve as the years go by. When they came out with the DLV's I knew I had to get one - I haven't been disappointed.

Dave
    '08 218DLV
    '07 Suz DF140
    Hum 787c2i GPS/FF
    Lowr HDS w/StrScan

Member: CCC of CSO

Thanks

I've got a 2180 that I'm very happy with. As far as quality and durabilty.....the fit and finish is no GW. Little things like the screws that hold the winshield to the console had no 5200 and vibrated out.... the "scupper" holes will take water in on occasion if the plugs aren't in. With this said, I use this boat to commercial crab (trotline) in the summer and I also use it to fish and oyster..... in other words this boat takes a pounding......so for durability I would give it high marks. I've only had the boat for a year but I don't see it wanting to quit. I've got that thing LOADED down most times and the boat doesn't blink. I've also talked to the folks at Carolina Skiff about a few different things and I was impressed with their customer service. For what I need a boat for....the CS is a PERFECT FIT!

To sum it all up for you........If you are aware of the Flat bottom boat issues and realize the "limitations" that go with this and you still see this boat fiting in line with what you want to do......I think the CS will make you a very happy camper 010

Tony

2007' 2180DLX
    DF115 SUZUKI

Thanks

I bought a used J16 and absolutely love it. It is the perfect boat for my use - mostly fishing alone and some sightseeing with the wife. If I were to buy a new J16, I would purchase a completely bare hull along with all the accessories I wanted (front deck, rear deck, console, etc.) and install them all myself. Seems like from what I've read here that the assembly process is the big variable with CS, and doing it yourself removes this variable. If you install everything yourself you'll know for sure that every screw is sealed properly, etc.
    J16 cc, 25 Yamaha 4-stroke, 10x13 Rascal prop, CMC-35 T/T, Smart Tabs
    For pictures of bikes, trikes, boats, my daughter singing, and more feel free to visit my home page

Thanks

Quality and durability, where should I start?

Sometimes the best you can hope for is to get what you pay for. Carolina Skiff does that. The company has found a good balance between cost and providing rugged materials and solid construction.

The older skiffs had issues.

Hull thickness varied from one place to the next, wood core transoms rotted, and bad designs like the tunnel hull that instead of making the boat run shallower sucked the rear end of the boat even further down.

In 1990, I had a 14' skiff with paper thin hull and a wood transom that rotted out. Mom and Dad had a 2480 with a tunnel. The tunnel was terrible we actually partially filled it in to improve the boats performance and the hull was again thin and later the floor delaminated from the stringers and soaked up water making it a heavy tub and making it feel like standing on a water bed.

I'd still buy an older skiff today. Chances are whoever has it did enough work to fix the problems.

Matter of fact the 14’ and the 24’ are both still in the family. But, both have had considerable glasswork and transom repair. The hulls are worthy and once you’ve tried them in the areas we run there really isn’t much else to come close for the price.

The newer skiffs are much better.

Corrected are the shoddy glasswork and wood transoms. We now have two DLX's, a 1997 2180 and a 1965. The hulls are as good as the day we bought them. These are very decent boats for seas of two foot or less. You can put a lot of power on them but you don't have to. A skiff will get you there and back for less.

However expect a few cracks in the gel coat or unevenness in the floor.

If your fishing off shore in seas of two foot or more on a regular basis and want economy look at something other than a DLX.

If you want to go shallow, cheaply, and efficiently and still be able to get out deeper on good days a skiff is hard to beat.

Sometimes the best you can hope for is to get what you pay for. Carolina Skiff does that. The company has found a good balance between cost and providing rugged materials and solid construction. Oh wait, I said that already - but then again its worth saying twice.
    Last edited by Big Will; 04-20-2008 at 08:15 AM.
    1965 DLX 50Hp Yamaha

Thanks
    Thanked 4,446 Times in 1,977 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jtrickey
    Members,

I wanted to see if I could get some overall feedback on the quality and durability of the Carolina Skiff. I currently own a grady white and am downsizing due to not wanting to pay the gas anymore. Any reviews would be appreciated. Figured I could get some good feeback from the folks who own and have owned for awhile on what they think the overall quality of the boat. I am sure there is some good and bad.

-JT
    First off welcome to the place that will give you un-biased CS reports, just what your seeking, the good & bad.

Now that that is out of the way, how about telling us what your planning to do with the boat so we can tell you the good & bad, and what model might best suit your goals.

Since you have a Grady already I'm going to assume you take it in the Ocean? A J-series Skiff would not suit you. Do you want to fish in a small freshwater pond and narrow creek? Then don't go after a 258 DLV.

See where I'm going? Let us know what your plans are and we can help narrow your search and tell you the pro's & Con's of the boat that you might be interested in.

Also there are many topics on this as well. Try the search tab and see what you can find. If you find a topic of interest, you can post in it and it will bring the old topic back to the surface & get replies.

Harry
    "C-Phase"
    2008 238 DLV, 140 Suzuki
    Fishmaster T-top
    Wesco Trailer
    2001 16' J Series w/ 30 Hp Evinrude

+ Reply to Thread